Thursday, February 25, 2010

Inspiration from Victorian grandeur!

I have just got back from Blackpool.
I went for creative inspiration to an amazing Victorian hotel I visited as a child. The building portrays a Blackpool that was, and I still find its size and grandeur really exciting. I spent a couple of interesting days exploring a Blackpool that not many appreciate or even know exists.

These are picures of the inside of the hotel, just as I remember it.





My Great Uncle used to make props and scenery for the Grand theatre. I went in to try and find a dedication plaque that had been put there when he died ( about forty years ago). Sadly new fund raising plaques have replaced the old ones, Oh well, the Arts must survive.


















The High spot of my trip, has to be my cup of tea and cheese roll at the Blackpool tower ballroom. Not only was the interior breathtaking (designed by Matchum who also did the interior of the theatre and the Winter garden) but I felt nostalgic listening to the organist and watching the dancers. (Incredible!!)












I took this picture of the cafe in the ballroom. Note the silver teapots, and below, the pork pies!














It made me want to cry!






















No comments: