Monday, March 29, 2010

Old treasures!


I have just completed four lots of mentoring days for "Music for Youth" which have all been different, but all equally exciting and enjoyable.
I am also at the moment looking through some old archives of Avril's and have found real treasures and souvenirs of her wonderful contribution to music education over the years. It is so exciting to unearth old clippings and photographs, and realise the influence she had on me as she took me to lectures and workshops she was doing, and to places where she was adjudicating.
I found this photo of her and I, (not sure who the other lady is). It was about the time she was an adjudicator for "Music for Youth, and took me along to that. I remember being really inspired by it, not thinking ever that I would be in her position one day.
Thanks Avril!! I am enjoying re discovering your journey and realising even more what a profound effect you had on music Education.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

just popped in to see what's going on! I've just acquired Silly Songs for my wider opps and tried Old man jazz for the last couple of sessions, it's going down really well! We make up other actions aswell (which is my intro to improvisation) before tootting on the ol'liqurice stick in the right gaps. Looking forward to trying the others out and taking my new book to my training day tomorrow. Hopefully will gain browny points :0) Hope you're well
Portia x

The National Youth Music Camps said...

Hellloooooo
So pleased you are liking it. I am really quite excited about those song books. How are you???? I am just writing a book that introduces clarinet and flute together a la Razz . Hope to see you soon XXX