Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kerry Camden


It was with sadness that I found out that Kerry Camden had died aged 74.
Kerry was my bassoon professor at The Royal College of Music for four years, and gave me many opportunities for playing and exploring the wind chamber music repertoire he loved. He supported me when I was a penniless music student by allowing me scholarships to attend Stowe summer school and the wonderful Berwang holiday music course in Austria that I went to for six years. He even gave me reeds and a bassoon crook that belonged to his famous bassoonist father Archie Camden. I will always be very grateful for this.
Kerry will be sadly missed.
http://www.musicholiday.com/index.html

4 comments:

Geoff Colmer said...

Thanks for this Sarah. Sad news. Kerry wasn't my teacher but he was a significant presence at the RCM and I always found him encouraging and friendly.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah

Good to read about your experience of Kerry on your blog. It is amazing how many people he inspired to play and introduced to the wind chamber music repertoire. He is sorely missed.

Best wishes

Julie
(musicholiday.com web designer/ex-web master)

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,

I have a faint memory of meeting you in RCM in 1981. Kerry was my teacher then and he did orphan me for a year to help me survive my 1 year post grad course in bassoon. He was one of the best things that happened in my life. He's got a lovely and accommodating family too. And Diana, his wife was always so caring.

The National Youth Music Camps said...

Yes, I remember you!. It all seems a long time ago. Are you still playing?.
Sarah