Saturday, June 30, 2012

Times are changing (for the better!)

I was surfing the internet this morning and came across an ad by the ABRSM (Associated board of the Royal schools of music) for a course they are running called "Play by ear". I was delighted , and slightly shocked at the same time. I wasn't surprised that the ABRSM are providing more broad minded approaches (because they are), but I had a sudden flashback to my childhood, when playing by ear (to most people) was a sin!.
I have very strong memories of people commenting about someone "Oh she plays by ear you know!". I accept its preferable to be able to read the music as well, but I dont hanker for my young days when visiting my piano teachers spider plant filled house and smelling the music centre floor polish was enough to fill me with terror.
I was raised in a broad minded musical home where we played without  music as well. Thank goodness!!

No comments: