Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sibelius


Yes, this is a picture of the real Sibelius, but its the computer programme I am struggling with at the moment. Well I'm not struggling with using it, just "should I be using it?".

I am about to embark on a second "easy band book", and writing it on computer does make sense time wise, its just that I feel far more creative with a pencil in my hand.

I often write out music in random places like coffee shops, on trains, on holiday, and there is a strange creative process in this, which is even enhanced by my situation at the time. I couldn't really do that, even with the lap top.

This may sound a bit romantic, but I wonder if writing on the computer would make the whole experience too mechanical and not organic or natural any more.

Editors often say its nice to get hand written manuscripts these days and learn more about the personality of the composer. I wonder if we are losing something by writing straight onto a computer programme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi just been looking at your stuff re Really easy band book and was wondering if there is a site where I could view a sample of the score to see if it would be suitable for my beginner orchestra?
Andi

The National Youth Music Camps said...

Hi Andi, sorry I havent replied earlier. You could go to the kevin mayhew website ( see link at side of page). but that won't give you sample pages.
"The easy band book" and also "band in a book"are VERY easy, and may be a bit too easy for your grade three players. I am working on book 2 at the moment which will be a bit harder. The pieces all have a jazzy accomp. so although the parts are very easy, it give s the impression of something more difficult. Hope this helps a bit.