Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Watts happening?


For those who have been asking, "Band in a book 2" is now finished and has been sent off.

I am quite excited by this one as it has a few extra twists. The book contains a mixture of tunes in various styles, and mostly easy, but a few a bit more challenging for developing players. Not only have some of the pieces got scope for easy improvisation, but I've also labelled one or two "On the spot ensemble". This means that I have written accompaniments with an easy pattern that can be taught by rote . Everybody learns the piece ( very quickly) off by heart, and then it can be extended by (easy) improvisation over the (memorised) accompaniment. I have tried it with young instrumentalists, and it is a very freeing and confidence building experience.

One of the "On the spot ensemble " pieces is a jig, and that's great fun to do.

I did a teachers workshop on the principal of this ( ensemble/no music) and it was well received.

No comments: