Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Do you remember Music and movement??


I am soon to do some workshops at the Schools Music Association conference in Yorkshire.

One of the other workshop leaders is Douglas Coombes of "BBC Time and Tune" fame. He was a bit of a legend in music Education in the seventies and eighties for his radio programmes for schools and his arrangements and compositions.

With him in mind, and while listening to some "uplifting" classical music in the car the other day, I had a flashback to junior school and my weekly thrill. "Music and movement".

This too was from BBC radio for schools and the presenter invited you to tear around the school hall to a piece of Vaughan Williams pretending to be a bumble bee, or lay on the ground and be a seed which when the music started burst forth with shoots and started to grow.

I remember absolutely losing myself as I spun around the hall to "Dance Macabre" in just vest and navy blue knickers. What a wonderful experience that was!. It was a complete listening Education and total music appreciation, with a bit of exercise thrown in.

Those immortal words will stay with me forever............AND STOP.............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did that as well in my pull on black plimsolls!!

The National Youth Music Camps said...

Perhaps I'm not as old as I thought I was!
Sar X

Stewart C. Russell said...

Yup, and the "find a space, find a space!" urgent directive still stays with me 34 years later