Thursday, November 15, 2007

This is interesting


I was really pleased I stumbled across this picture on the oboe page of Ebay today, I have been looking for it for a while.

It shows a bassoon and oboe playing for a church service, but what is interesting, is that I remember our neighbour when I was a child showing me this picture when I took up the bassoon. He said the church was Bo Brickhill ( which is where he was brought up, and which is quite close to us). He said the man at the back of the picture wearing the neckerchief (to the right of the oboist) was a relative of his, and he showed me the very neckerchief that had been passed down the family. I'm not sure who painted the picture, but it would be interesting to find out.
If you click on the picture you can enlarge it. I've just done that, and i think it might be a clarinet not an oboe!! ....comments?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah - what a gift! When I lived in Melton Mowbray I went to a village church where propped up in the corner was an ancient church bassoon. I'd been told about it and came prepared with a reed, and sadly it didn't work as it leaked like a sieve, as in a split in the crook! I know that Thomas Hardy writes about church music groups but this is a brilliant picture, especially as it is just down the road from where I too live. I will borrow this and it will appear in countless Power Points, to good effect I hope! Thanks.

The National Youth Music Camps said...

I'm so glad you saw it, I thought you may find it interesting.