Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Poom poom poom!


Sometimes strange things that you never understood from your childhood suddenly make sense.

When I took up the bassoon at the age of 14, my Grandma (then well into her eighty's) remembered when she was young. a man singing a funny song about the bassoon, and it going "Poom, poom, poom". At the time I remember thinking ( as teenagers do!) yeh.

Many years later Avril found the above piece of music (sorry its fuzzy) in a junk shop, and thought it would make a good inclusion for the various soiree's we played in.

The song was about a man using his bassoon to impress and court his young lady. It was quite risky in its time, and the words that were left to the imagination were replaced by "poom poom poom" (where the bassoon would play).

John and I did this at the Christmas show (him singing , me playing) and its still funny.

Sorry Grandma, you were right.

No comments: