Thursday, January 31, 2008

Learn an instrument!


I was very excited to recieve in the post today a book that had been borrowed by a friend about four years ago, and that I had given up the hope of ever seeing again.Its called "What can I play" by M.M. Scott and was written in 1945, I bought it in my favourite charity shop. I'm not sure if it was meant to be serious or not, but its possibly the funniest thing I've read in ages, and the pictures are wonderful.The book introduces all the instruments that a child might like to take up and discusses their merits and downfalls. I will HAVE to share some of the priceless pearls of wisdom from this book in the days to come, but I thought I must start with the bassoon.Selected quotes as follows.
"it can sometimes be played by ladies, but they must have large hands and nimble fingers"
"sixteen would seem the earliest age to start the bassoon, and a slight knowledge of one of the simpler woodwind instruments would be an advantage"
"It is essential to have a teacher for at least a year to aquire a proper method"
"Practise on the bassoon should not be too long at a time"
"At first, the bassoon is noisy and rough, and not appreciated by the neighbours, but it can be practised with a cloth tied over the bell end, which does something to mute the sound"

No comments: