Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ancient and Modern


Apparently the most downloaded thing on "You Tube" at the moment, is "The Zimmers".
The documentary was on this week, about the making of a record by senior citizens, some previously in care homes, and some who hadn't left their homes for years.
The video of the song they recorded is worth watching on "You Tube", very moving.
It reminded me of a fantastic project I did for the Stables theatre a few years ago. I worked with two choirs separately, a first school choir, and a senior citizens choir. They both worked on the same fun repertoire but rehearsed at different times.
Each member of the choirs had a pen pal in the other group, and each time I attended rehearsals I took letters to and from the pen pals.
The two groups didn't meet until the concert, and the adults had taken Easter eggs for the children.
It was a most memorable day musically and emotionally, and it was such a shame the whole process wasn't recorded. I would love to do it again (with Sizzling songz this time).
We called the project Ancient and Modern.



No comments: