Thursday, April 5, 2007

Mixed Ensembles


Its always very difficult finding music for a mixed ensemble. This is especially true if the group is mixed ability as well as a diverse mix of instruments. I first wrote the Razzamajazz "Really Easy Band Book" to try and fulfill a need for really easy ensemble music for very beginners, but more recently had the idea of "Band in a book" which is literally what it says.

There are about ten pieces with a piano part or backing track but with all the parts in one book so you could actually have three players to a stand all reading different parts. the parts are really flexible, and the books can be used for a duet right up to a school orchestra. The pupils can practice their parts at home along to the CD which comes with every book. There are parts for most instruments. I think the only part I didn't put in the first book was for an instrument in F, but I have rectified this in the " Christmas Band in a Book" which will be out soon.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Though this is very interesting, may I also suggest you check out my visit to the Philippines blog at http://streetlight-trust.blogspot.com !!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm really enjoying your blog. Just to say that a primary school orchestra I work with in a corner Worcestershire played an 'end of term concert' using Band in a book. The head of music accompanied for the evening but usually I use the cd provided. They loved it and though I couldn't be there for the concert, during the final run through we had a massed audience of staff and helpers popping in to see and hear the 'fantastic' sound they were making. Not bad for 4 saxes, 2 flutes, 1 violin, 1 guitar and a keyboard! So far Sazarooah is their favourite.

Thanks very much for making beginner ensemble music so more inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I conduct an orchestra of 28 primary school children (10 violins, 11 glockenspiels, 3 recorders, 1 cello, flute, guitar and piano) in New Zealand. I can't adequately express my thanks for the great "Razzamajazz Really easy band book" and "Band in a Book". The pieces are just wonderful and I have ordered your "Band in a Book 2". I would dearly love to see a new Razzamajazz band book sometime when you have time! Any, many thanks! Cheers, Alison

The National Youth Music Camps said...

Thank you so much very exciting to hear of my music being used in New Zealand!!. No plans for another easy band book at the moment but glad you are looking at Band in a book two. there are some new ideas in there.
Thanks again!