Sunday, March 18, 2007

"Bassoon is beautiful"


When I was out yesterday, my first copies arrived of "Everything is somewhere else". This is the piece I was commissioned to write for the London Chamber Ensemble that was premiered at St Martin in the Fields, London in September.

The piece was originally written for bassoon and string orchestra, but Kevin Mayhew (http://www.kevinmayhew.com/) kindly said he would publish a bassoon and piano version with optional string parts to hire. I dedicated to piece to my eldest daughter Chloe for her eighteenth birthday, she (like me) is a bassoonist.

Its rather a quirky piece showing off the comical as well as the sonorous nature of the instrument. I played the bassoon at the first performance myself, as well as a Vivaldi concerto in the same programme. It gave me a good opportunity to try and remember which way up the instrument went.

The picture is of a bill board outside St Martins that day. I was very amused to appear on the programme with such eminent company (Vivaldi, Bach etc.....).

No comments: