Monday, March 19, 2007

Singing in schools


There has been great discussion about the importance of singing in schools, especially since the unveiling of the new government Music Manifesto which stresses its importance.
Of course, this is what music Educationalists have been saying for years. " Singing is an Essential element for the foundation of any music education".
I was fortunate as a child to have a mother who played piano and had me singing jazz standards and performing for visitors from a young age (I didn't always appreciate it at the time). I also remember some very good music teachers at school, and of course the influence of Avril Dankworth at the music camp who taught us great songs which we sung every morning and around the campfire. I tried to use the influences from these experiences when writing songs for "Red Hot Dots", but recently have had the opportunity to compile an enormous resource of fun songs which I'm really excited about. I have not only written my own songs and fun vocal warm ups, but have done new arrangements of old songs which are just too good to let go. I'm sure I will be writing more about "Sixty Sizzling Songz" as the publication date gets closer, but there is a little write up about it on the Kevin Mayhew website. He is publishing two new song books in response to the music manifesto. Have a look on
http://www.kevinmayhew.com/publisher/article.aspx?:d=72612

No comments: