Monday, March 26, 2007

Don't forget bassoonists and oboists.







I have been very aware when teaching the bassoon, that bassoonists do tend to miss out on the "Fun factor" a bit. There are some excellent pieces for young bassoonists, but not lots. I think it is because publishers understandably like to publish for the popular instruments where they will sell more copies, and new music for the more unusual double reed instruments don't get accepted so easily.



My main publisher Kevin Mayhew has been very good at allowing me to slip the occasional oboe or bassoon book in, mainly because I am a bassoonist and he knows this is a subject close to my heart, also he is keen to support Music Education in as broad a way as possible. The first book was "Razzamajazz" for the very beginner, and then " Fresh Air "which is a collection of pieces for grade one to three players. The most recent piece is " Everything is Somewhere else" which is probably about grade seven.



I'm really pleased that both The Associated board and Trinity Guildhall have accepted pieces for the next exam syllabus. All the pieces are in a contemporary style and have the usual Little injection of jazz influence.

No comments: