Thursday, March 22, 2007

New musical


I have had a meeting today with Michael Forster the lyricist I wrote "The Menu bites back" and "Rock the cradle". We have been commissioned by the "Living Archive" to write a musical for the hundredth anniversary of a school in Wolverton Milton Keynes. Michael started the book and lyrics just after Christmas and we have been working very much at a distance. Today was the day when I actually sang him the songs I had written, and we talked over the styles and metres of the ones I hadn't. I have a new lease of life for the project now. The show is being given its first performance in December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day - always an exciting moment when the lyrics actually take wing for the first time. I'm not sure what's more satisfying: the feeling of shared vision and being on the same wavelength when I hear something very close to the tune I 'heard' when writing, or the sense of freshness and revelation when the composer comes up with something totally unexpected. With Sarah, I've learnt that I can confidently hope for both experiences, and just enjoy them. The project always receives a needed injection of fresh impetus at these meetings.